There are a few dental procedures where some basic dietary limitations may be recommended to ensure optimal results, and a great example here is the teeth whitening process. For those who really want to maximize the results of their teeth whitening appointment, a few foods and drinks should generally be avoided in the immediate aftermath – and there are also some examples of foods or beverages that can be promoted to help optimize results.
At Bynum Aesthetic Dentistry, we’re here to offer a huge range of cosmetic dentistry services to our patients around Simpsonville, SC and nearby areas, including teeth whitening services, smile makeovers and more.
Here are some basic tips on foods and drinks to avoid, foods and drinks to promote, and some other simple approaches to your diet immediately following a teeth whitening procedure.
Foods and Drinks to Avoid
There are a few categories of foods and drinks to stay away from immediately following a teeth whitening procedure, including:
- Staining agents: These include coffee, tea, wine, soda, berries and other dark pigmented items. They all have the potential to stain your newly whitened teeth.
- Acidic foods and drinks: Anything with high acidity levels can weaken tooth enamel, which is already more vulnerable after a whitening appointment. This includes citrus fruits, vinegar-based dressings and various types of tomato sauces.
- Hot or cold food and drinks: Since teeth can be more sensitive after a whitening procedure, it’s best to avoid extremely hot or cold items for a few days.
Foods and Drinks to Promote
On the other hand, there are also some things you can eat or drink that will actually help promote teeth whitening. These include:
- Crunchy fruits and vegetables: Chewing on items like apples, carrots or celery can help scrub away any remnants of staining agents on your teeth.
- Dairy products: Foods like cheese, milk and yogurt contain calcium and phosphates, which can strengthen tooth enamel.
- Water: Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water can help wash away any remaining staining agents and keep your mouth healthy.
Other Tips for Post-Whitening Diet
Finally, here are a few other diet tips to follow after a teeth whitening procedure:
- Stick to soft foods for the first day or two: This will give your teeth time to recover from any sensitivity and avoid further irritation.
- Use a straw: If you do choose to consume any staining agents, using a straw can help minimize contact with your teeth.
- Avoid using tobacco products: Smoking or chewing tobacco after a whitening procedure can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the treatment and lead to quicker re-staining.
By following these simple dietary guidelines, you can ensure that your newly whitened smile stays bright and beautiful for as long as possible.
For more information on this or any of our cosmetic dental services, restorative procedures or other solutions, or to schedule a teeth whitening appointment, contact our team at Bynum Aesthetic Dentistry today.